Broccoli cheddar soup.
If you love this delicious, creamy soup — but you’re not thrilled with how heavy and unhealthy it can be…
I have good news.
See, when I eat a plant-based diet, I still LOVE creamy, decadent dishes…
And I’ve finally perfected a healthy, plant-based broccoli cheddar soup.
This soup is actually super easy to make. (It should only take you about 30 minutes of prep time.)
It tastes like decadent, rich cheddar, so it’s sure to be a hit with your friends and family…
And unless you tell them, they may never know it’s actually packed with fiber-filled veggies and ZERO dairy!
Plus, even though there’s no cheddar, it still has a smooth, creamy texture — just like the classic.
I’ll get right to it then! Here’s how to make your own healthy broccoli cheddar soup.
Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 1-2 cups water, as needed (optional, see instructions)
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese (optional, see instructions)
- In a large pot, add onion, garlic, and olive oil. Saute for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, or until fragrant. Stir frequently.
- Add your potatoes, carrots, cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, dried mustard powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Bring your pot to a boil, then turn down to low heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes (or until you can easily stick a fork into your potatoes and carrots).
- Transfer all your ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth. (Feel free to do this in batches if all your ingredients don’t fit into your blender.)
- Pour the soup mixture back into your large pot. If it’s too thick for your liking, simply add some water, 1 cup at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add in your broccoli, chopped up into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn your burner to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Optional: Add some plant-based shredded cheese and stir into the soup.
- Pour into bowls and serve! Feel free to add any toppings you want — you can use croutons, chopped green onion, crunchy onion, plant-based shredded cheese, or anything else you desire.
On top of being mouthwatering and delicious, each bite of this soup is packed with health-boosting nutrients.
I started with nutritional yeast, a deactivated form of yeast which makes a great cheese substitute.
Not to mention, it’s incredibly nutritious — and packed with:
- B vitamins, which are essential for energy production, brain function, and nerve health
- Protein, at about 2 grams per tablespoon, for healthy muscles and a full stomach
- Beta-glucan, a soluble fiber that can help support your immune system
And the base of the soup — carrots, potatoes, and cashews — make this soup:
- Rich in nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, and fiber… all great for healthy blood pressure, heart function, and digestive health.
- Low in fat and high in fiber, as well as super creamy and delicious.
- A good source of complex carbs, which are great for all-day energy.
Packed with protein to make you satisfied and full. Seriously, this is a FILLING soup!
Your soup will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days — just make sure it’s in an airtight container.
Or you can freeze it and save it for a rainy day, literally. 😉
This just goes to show — you don’t have to sacrifice flavor to eat a healthy diet.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this cheesy, mouthwatering recipe.