Fun fact about me:
I’m NOT the world’s best baker.
(Yes — I’ve had my share of disasters in the kitchen!)
Because of the precise nature of baking, it can feel quite daunting for a lot of people.
That’s why I love to make NO-BAKE desserts.
They’re beyond easy to make, SUPER tasty, and my favorite part:
No strict measurements or oven time are required. 🙂
So I’d like to share my current dessert obsession:
Key Lime Pie BARS
These delicious citrus bars are individually portioned, making them a great go-to snack… perfect to bring along to a picnic or party… and can satisfy your sweet tooth no matter the season.
Best of all, they’re much healthier than you’d expect!
More on that in a moment — but first, here’s everything you’ll need to make…
Maggie’s No-Bake Key Lime Pie Bars
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 13.5-oz can of coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- Optional: Coconut shreds to top it off
- Soak your cashews in water for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to soften them up.
- Combine your crust ingredients in a blender (or food processor). Pulse until the mixture is blended and sticky enough to hold together and form a crust.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper. Firmly and evenly press your crust onto the parchment paper at the bottom of your dish.
- Drain your soaked cashews, and place them in a blender with the rest of the filling ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour your filling into the dish over your crust. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares and serve. If you’d like, top with coconut shreds!
Yep, that’s it!
Pretty much all you have to do is throw these ingredients together in a blender — and assemble.
The hardest part for me is just remembering to soak the cashews before I get started. 😉
Okay, let’s quickly talk about why this recipe is perfect if you have a sweet tooth — while still advancing your health goals!
See, these bars might taste like a sweet indulgence, but they’re actually packed with hidden nutrients.
Every delicious Key Lime Pie Bar is packed with:
✔ Fiber (for comfortable digestion)
- Dates are known for their high fiber content, which can help you achieve comfortable bathroom trips.
In one study, people who ate dates every day for 3 weeks experienced improvements in bowel movement regularity.1
✔ Slimming, healthy fat (for weight AND heart support)
- Coconut milk is high in a healthy fat called Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)…
And MCTs are known to support a healthy heart, as well as help your body burn fat more easily.2
✔ Protein (for a trim, strong body)
- Cashews are high in protein, which is great for keeping you full and reducing your urge to snack between meals.
Plus, protein can help maintain your muscles, so you can feel active and strong no matter your age.
So you see, this sweet treat satisfies both your taste buds AND your need for health-boosting nutrients.
I love making a batch and saving them in the fridge, so I can have them throughout the week and share a few with friends.
Make sure to give this recipe a try —
And I hope you enjoy these delicious Key Lime Pie Bars as much as I do!
1 Eid, N. et al. (2015b) ‘Impact of palm date consumption on microbiota growth and large intestinal health: A randomised, controlled, cross-over, human intervention study’, British Journal of Nutrition, 114(8), pp. 1226–1236. doi:10.1017/s0007114515002780.
2 Rial, S. et al. (2016) ‘Gut Microbiota and metabolic health: The potential beneficial effects of a medium chain triglyceride diet in obese individuals’, Nutrients, 8(5), p. 281. doi:10.3390/nu8050281.