Do you ever find it difficult to motivate the whole family to get up and moving? It can be tempting to spend the day watching movies on the couch, but exercise is important. On top of that, exercising as a family can be tons of fun!
Continue reading for some activities and games that your whole family is sure to enjoy.
Basic Exercises And Games For The Entire Family
Family exercise doesn’t need to be complicated or a chore. A simple game of tag can provide your children or grandchildren with crucial exercise that helps maintain their health and happiness.
Variety and creativity will go a long way towards keeping everyone engaged and interested in activities. Just remember to always consult with your doctor before trying any new physical activity.
Use the list below for inspiration.
- Get those hips and arms swinging by doing some jumping jacks.
- Try walking or hiking on a new trail.
- Play on the monkey bars and sneak in some pull-ups.
- Jump rope.
- Walk or run laps on the track together.
- Stretch or try doing some yoga together.
- Play Simon Says to get the body moving (but only if Simon says).
- Play a game of kickball on the baseball field.
Fun Exercises And Sports
One of the best ways to engage with family is to play sports. It can be a great way for everyone to have fun while getting the exercise they need. Here are some ideas:
- Go for a bike ride.
- Give ice skating a try.
- Shoot hoops, or play a game of basketball.
- Go for a swim at the pool.
- Throw the football or baseball around.
- Pass the soccer ball back-and-forth, or play a game of soccer.
- Hula hoop for record times.
- Throw the frisbee to each other (or to the dog).
- Take the kayak or canoes out on the lake.
- Set up the volleyball net for some rallies or even a full game.
- Play badminton with or without a net.
Indoor Activities And Household Games
Don’t let bad weather discourage you from exercising. There are lots you can do inside to keep everyone in the family (young and old) active.
- Blast the music and have a dance party.
- Head to an area to play laser tag.
- Go to the roller rink for some skating or rollerblading.
- Decorate for the holidays.
- Put on a play together.
- Clean the house to fun music.
Outdoor Activities And Games
Head outside to get these games and activities underway. They’re all pretty fun so you should have no problems finding participants.
- Build a sandcastle on the beach.
- Skip stones on the lake or river.
- Fly a kite in the park.
- Build a snowman in the cold together.
- Go for a hike.
- Plant or tend the garden together.
- Play hopscotch.
- Rake up the leaves into a big pile and jump in together.
- Play capture the flag.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Go to a zipline or ropes course.
- Make snow angels.
Experiment And Find What Works For Your Family
These are just a few ideas to help you start a routine with your family. Find something that interests everyone. This way, you won’t need to do much convincing to get yourself and your family off the couch and moving around.
After a while, it may be that your family members are the ones trying to convince you to get up, get out, and play some more.
Just remember, always consult with your doctor before beginning any new exercise or physical activity.